Amoung the farmhousians, random recipes come up. Generally, my experience with green stuff, cooked green stuff has been blech. No offense, but I’ve never been a fan of vinegar soaked greens. And kale just sounded to green to me: like Kermit said it’s not easy eating green. Or was it being green? Anyway, one of my housemates introduced me to a new way of eating Kale. It’s simple. and it’s strangely delicious and addicting. And rumor has it she even enjoyed eating it as a child.
So this newfangled crunchy melt in your mouth (impossible combo right?) baked and believe it healthy way of eating kale….wait where was I going? Simply its good. Its kinda addicting. Like popcorn is addicting. And best of all its simple to make.
- fresh kale, rinsed and patted dry
- olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste?)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Tear kale into relatively medium small pieces. No smaller than potato chips and no bigger than your palm.
- Drizzle olive oil over kale and toss to coat. Add more if needed, though you’ll need less than you think.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss to coat.
- Spread over a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake about 3-5 minutes. Keep and eye on it. You hardly want it to brown if at all. Check it and the Kale should be a bit stiff and crumble if crushed.
The directions make it sound complicated, but its very quick and easy. A great snack, and a good source of iron? I think.. Iron. . . leafy greens. . . right?