I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and trying to decide what I wanted to eat. Suddenly out of no where I had an intense craving for gingerbread. Not the hard cookie like gingerbread but the soft quick bread/cakey gingerbread. “Me want gingerbread!” I spoke in clear non negotiable terms. I had never made gingerbread before how would I know what to do? But the voice persisted. I caved an began an internet hunt for a gingerbread loaf recipe. I found about 5 or so and used my handy dandy spreadsheet to compare ingredients and made my own ingredient list. I did however pull heavily from this Gingerbread Recipe.
What resulted was a delightful, soft, but heavy gingerbread that would be perfect for breakfast or just an after meal dessert or even a random snack. It is moist, and flavorful, and well, quite frankly perfect.
- 2 cup flour: I used 1 cup all purpose and 1 cup whole wheat
- 2 tso baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-4 tsp ginger
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup fat: You can use butter, shortening, or lard. I actually used canola oil (it was what I had on hand) and it still turned out great/
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses: I don’t ever have molasses on hand. So I substituted 3/4 cup dark brown sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water.
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease loaf pan. After you grease it, if you like you make sprinkle/coat it with a cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat fat and sugars until light and fluffy. Then beat in egg until well combined. You may use an electric mixture on medium speed or just good old fork and arm power.
- Combine molasses and milk. You can do this in a 2 cup measuring cup or in a bowl.
- Alternate adding flour and molasses mixture into the butter mixture.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake 50 minutes or until done. You can test doneness with a toothpick or by lightly poking the surface. If the bread bounces back it is done, if it leaves an indent cook it for 5-10 minutes longer.
- Enjoy! You may serve this hot, cold, room temperature by itself, or with a dollop of fresh whipped cream (or canned).